Elverson Borough occupies one square mile along the northwestern boundary of Chester County. The Borough is bounded by only two municipalities; Caernarvon Township, Berks County to the north, and West Nantmeal Township, Chester County to the east, south and west. In 1911, the Borough, comprising only 149 acres, was incorporated from West Nantmeal Township. In 1953, land was annexed from West Nantmeal as well, extending the boundary of the Borough to the Berks County line and just beyond Brick Lane and Route 401. This brought the total land area to the current size of one square mile.
Elverson developed around an historical crossroads. Today those early thoroughfares have been improved to highways. The most important highway in Elverson is Pennsylvania Route 23 which passes through the center of the Borough as Main Street, ultimately connecting the cities of Philadelphia and Lancaster. Pennsylvania Route 82, the second highway runs south through Elverson to Coatesville, southern Chester County, and Wilmington, Delaware. Pennsylvania Route 401, which originates at the western boundary of the Borough, proceeds in a southeasterly direction across the center of Chester County to U.S. Route 30 north of Malvern. The Pennsylvania Turnpike, though not physically within the Borough, provides access to the cities of Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh via the nearby Morgantown interchange.
The city of Reading is approximately 18 miles north of the Borough, Allentown 40 miles northeast, Pottstown 14 miles northeast, Phoenixville 17 miles east, Philadelphia 40 miles southeast, West Chester 21 miles southeast, Coatesville 13 miles south, Honey Brook seven miles southwest, Lancaster 25 miles southwest, Harrisburg 60 miles west, and Morgantown three miles west.
Elverson is located in an area near significant historic and recreational facilities. Hopewell Village National Historical Site, located in Warwick and Union Townships, is the site of an eighteenth century iron furnace and village. French Creek State Park, located in Union, Robeson, Warwick, and North Coventry Townships, comprises 7,337 acres and contains year-round recreational opportunities. State Game Lands #43, administered by the Pennsylvania Game Commission, is situated north of Route 23 in Union, Robeson, Warwick, and West Nantmeal Townships, as well as a small portion within the Borough of Elverson.
In addition to existing facilities, regional trail corridors have been proposed that would traverse the Elverson area. The proposed Hibernia Trail would extend northward from Chester County’s Hibernia Park, generally along the former Conrail (Reading) railroad bed and along a section of the West Branch of the Brandywine Creek. Eventually, it is proposed to connect Struble Lake and continue north to State Game Lands through Elverson and to French Creek State Park. The trail would also extend south from Hibernia Park to Coatesville.
The old French Creek branch railroad, long abandoned, extends from Elverson to St. Peter’s Village in Warwick Township, traversing sections of the State Game Lands #43 and French Creek State Park. It is used informally as a recreational trail; in fact, a short segment northeast of Elverson forms part of the blazed Horseshoe Trail, which links Valley Forge National Historic Park to the Appalachian Trail near Harrisburg.
The Twin Valley School District includes Elverson Borough, Honey Brook Borough, Honey Brook Township, and West Nantmeal Township in Chester County, and New Morgan Borough, Robeson and Caernarvon Townships in Berks County. The school district includes three elementary schools (K-4), a middle school (5-8), and a high school (9-12).